Wednesday, November 19, 2008

24/25 week prenatal appointment!

Today was our 24 week appointment (we were in Key West last week, so now we're a week behind on appointments).

First was the appointment with the hospital midwife, Margaret. I really like her - I was seeing Kay, but Margaret is way better in my opinion. Today I had to do the blood sugar test, but I was ornery and refused to drink the orange yuck stuff, so Margaret told me just to eat 2 hours before the test and we did it that way. Honestly, I think this test is the biggest BS ever, but since it didn't hurt DomerBaby for me to get stuck with a needle, I didn't complain too much.

After that we did the weigh-in (yikes) and blood pressure. All is well there - my blood pressure seemed pretty low - 106/70 today! Good sign I think. Margaret gently suggested that I lay off the sweets so that I don't gain too much with the holidays coming. Sigh. I'll try, I promise.

She listened for the baby and I got to hear the heartbeat for the first time! It is really cool. And then she felt around for the baby, it's all nestled in my pelvis right now, still sort of transverse. She said usually they start engaging around 28 weeks, so we'll see what's going on at the next appointment.

Then I went over to Charlotte's house, and we chatted more about health stuff - whether I had headaches, swelling, etc... It continually amazes me how much more *medically* thorough Charlotte is than my hospital midwives. Of course, it's important that she knows if I'm low risk, but still - you'd think that the others would want to know that, too. She also measured the baby - I'm about 1-2 weeks ahead in fundal height, but the baby is laying pretty funny and she said that may be why. Or maybe I'm not going to get my little 6lb peanut like T.J. was! Haha. For what it's worth, this variation is within the realm of normal. DomerBaby is now about 2 pounds! So that just leaves 20 unaccounted for. Tee hee! Charlotte measured and the heartbeat is 150 beats per minute! So I guess everything is going well in there. Yey!

One "bad" thing is that apparently my abdominal wall is starting to separate. Charlotte warned me about this at the beginning - to not use my abs to sit up from a lying position. I do try to roll and use my arms, but apparently I was not diligent enough. I need to do some research on this, but I think it's more figure/fitness related than baby related. Goodbye abs! DomerBaby is worth it... it's not like I wear midriffs anyway.

We go back in 4 weeks at 29 weeks (28w appt), then the next time I'll go 3 weeks later to get back on schedule (32w), then every other week! Time sure is flying.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP