Monday, June 15, 2009

Cloth Diapering update

We've picked up a few more things, so for the readers who are CD'ing I thought I'd update what we're using.

  • We still use KL0's, which I'm surprised about. They only work for daytime though.
  • We've moved up to yellow edge GMD prefolds, I think they'll fit well past their 15lb stated max.
  • We've gotten a few Bububebe (B4's) and I love them. The inside is organic bamboo or cotton velour, which seems to act like fleece in that Joseph doesn't feel as wet. Cute prints, too. They are pricey to buy new, but I've scored each of mine for $14 used on Spot's Corner and Diaper Swappers.
  • Cricketts have been my go-to for nighttime. They are working well.
  • Happy Hempys are our other nighttime diaper. They are just kind of "stiff", so I try to use the cricketts if they are clean.
  • I just ordered medium sized Thirsties covers. The smalls are still fitting prefolds and KL0's, but they don't fit the cricketts/hh as well. The B4's fit in the smalls since right now they are on the smallest setting. We like these covers more than any other PUL covers. I also like Imse Vimse organic, but they aren't quite as versatile. They do seem more breatheable, but we have wool for that purpose.
In bad cloth diapering news, I had to "strip" my diapers. Sometimes detergent can build up on diapers and trap stinkiness in them. The cure - a dash of Dawn dish soap after your wash cycle. It breaks down the detergent to wash it away, I guess. Then you just rinse, rinse, rinse until there are no more bubbles. This took me many tries. I think 5 rinse cycles! Luckily our machine is HE, so it uses very little water per wash. The diapers came out smelling very fresh and clean. Yey! The way to prevent buildup is to use less detergent, but I get nervous about not getting them clean enough. I'd say 3 months isn't a bad run before needing to strip, eh?


kati_girl June 15, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

we found the yellow edges to work up to 18 pounds - and then Marion's legs just got too chunky!

Thirsties are also our go to cover - can't beat them for flexibility and mess containment!

shannon June 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

I haven't tried these soap nuts, but they look really interesting.
Maybe they would help with build up.

The Good Wife September 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

Hey Jen, I thought I might share with you some things I picked up CDing myself.

The detergent isn't the main component to getting your clothes clean; it's the water. So you can use way less detergent than you need. I use about 1/2 of the smallest "size" on the cap even for large loads and everything comes out clean.

If you have an HE washing machine, the water level might not be high enough to rise the diapers completely. Manually choose your water setting to the highest level or throw some towels into the wash to trick the machine into adding more water.


Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by 2008

Back to TOP