Saturday, May 29, 2010

Saturday Market

We had a great time this morning at the Green Market at Piedmont Park. I specifically wanted to go because a local grass fed beef/pastured poultry farm, Nature's Harmony was there this week. We've gotten some beef from them a few times, and I've gotten on their wait list to be part of their CSA, so I was excited to see what they had available.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the wide range of offerings. We picked up a stewing chicken (to become coq au vin), a pound of grass fed beef, and a dozen pastured eggs. I was very excited about the chicken and eggs. The chickens are out in the pasture with the cows, eating bugs, grass, and whatever else chickens eat when they follow cows around. I've been exploring pastured eggs for a while now, and finally found some at Whole Foods, but they were $6/dozen! Yikes! I scored these eggs for $4/doz and could not be happier! The stewing chicken was $3/lb, slightly more than the organic one I pick up at Trader Joe's, but I think it's worth it to get a chicken from a sustainable and local farm. Stewing chickens require slow cooking, but the flavor is supposed to be more intense. I'm sure it'll be tasty.

After the farmer's market, we went down to the dog park to watch the dogs. Joseph LOVES dogs. It was nice because the dogs were running around and chasing each other, which we don't usually see on our evening walks. After all the dogs left, we headed up to the playground. Joseph played on the swings and slide, and followed all the bigger kids around. He's almost as obsessed with older kids as he is with dogs!

We really wore him out, because he passed out on the way home (which totally ruined his nap - argh!). It was worth it for such a fun morning, though.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP