Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random advice from strangers

On the airplane to Key West, the flight attendant walked by and started the following conversation with me:

FA (seeing my baby books): Are you planning to breastfeed?
Me: Yes, I hope to.
FA: That's nice. I BF all three of mine.
Me: That's wonderful, I hope we are as successful
FA: Just make sure you are prepared
Me (smiling): Well, I'm trying to read a lot to prepare
FA (bending in close): No, I mean you need to rough up your nipples - like with a washcloth. Otherwise they will be sore and it won't work.
Me: Oh... yes, that. I will have to do that.

It really is true - people will say anything to a pregnant lady.

PS. You do not need to "rough up" your nipples. Ouch! Someone told me that they were told to scrub them with a toothbrush! Good grief.

2 comments:

Unknown November 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM  

Isn't it just grand, the unsolicited advice? Particularly that which is dispensed by women who had babies ten or more years ago, under a different set of myths and medical advice.

Paula November 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

I believe that to be an old wives tale. Besides....how can a wash cloth possibly imitate the sheer power and suction of a newborn? Nipples were built for such abuse. I do advise that if you want to nurse...plan to persevere even if the going gets rough. If you want it bad enough..you can almost always do it. Congrats on the babe!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP