Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pregnacy Bummer

So, I've been attempting to volunteer at a local hospital for several months now. I began the process before we even got pregnant. They finally have an opening, but they require you to get a tuberculosis test done before starting there. The test they do is called a PPD - basically it injects proteins from a dead TB virus into your arm, and if you have a reaction, it means you have TB in your system or have had an immunization against it. I assume at that point you would be disqualified from working in the hospital without further testing (a chest x-ray).

I am not very comfortable with the testing procedure, so I asked them if I could do an alternate test called a QuantiFeron that does not include injecting me with this stuff. It's listed on the CDC website, and in my opinion is a much better option since I'm pregnant.

The nurse I spoke to said that "oh, it's not TB that gets injected, it's protein" - yeah, proteins from TB. And then said that they would not accept any other test. :( I might call tomorrow and ask to speak with whomever it is who approves applications. This is so dumb!

I really want to do this volunteering, but I can't do it at the expense of a healthy pregnancy. For the record, I don't think it'd hurt really, but the test has not been researched on pregnant women (or animals) for safety. Many sources say that a pregnant woman should not take the test unless necessary.

3 comments:

Grandma Pat September 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Hi, It probably wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't take a chance either...I'll butt out now!
PS The knitted caps are adorable! Good job.

Kathy September 24, 2008 at 8:06 AM  

that's a bummer, but I don't blame you! Sorry!

Grandma Debbie September 24, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Time to start Singing or telling stories to baby. Read a good math book to baby. DomerBaby can here you now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP