Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cloth diapers revisited

I thought I'd give a quick review of how cloth diapering is going for us thus far.

We are currently using:
21 Kissaluv size 0 (KL0)
14 Green Mountain Diaper orange edge prefolds (PFs)
1 Kissaluv contour (KL contour)
2 Drybees all-in-one hybrids (AIO)
1 Happy Heiny pocket with a hemp insert from artsyfartsyfoofoo
3 prowrap newborn size
1 prowrap small size
1 imse vimse organic newborn size
1 pail liner
1 wet bag
2 snappis
40 cloth wipes

So far we can do laundry every 2-3 days - definitely can stretch 3 days, but it's easier and less funky in the pail to do it every other day. I like all of our diapers - we haven't had any "blow outs" and only a couple pee leaks - generally user error (not tucking the cotton inside the cover or forgetting to change him).

Prefolds: I prefer the PFs generally, as they seem more trim than the KL0's, but T.J. absolutely abhors them. I think mostly because he saw me put them on one time then attempted it on his own without me to help. The cons are that sometimes they seem so small on him, but they still fit and I should probably prep the next size up so I don't get taken unawares one day!

Contour: I also really like the contour, which surprised me, but obviously I only use it one time every few days. It's easier to get on him than regular pf's and very very trim. I don't think it's as absorbant though, and I have only had him pee in it so far, so I'm not sure how it'd do with runny breastfed baby poo.

AIOs and pocket: they are OK, but they are so costly compared to PFs, and I kind of like that I can tell right away if he's wet with fitteds by feeling under the cover. Definitely fast and easy to get on though, and I think Joseph sleeps better with them on because the inner fleece liner "wicks" moisture away from him.

I think I could use another cover, so I'm getting on the ball finally today and lanolizing the beautiful wool soakers that Tante Teresa made for Joseph. That'll give me another small cover to use, and wool longies as well.

We also ordered another pail liner and wet bag today, so we always have a clean one. So far we've been hanging them to dry, but then there is nowhere for the dirties to go! So that'll be remedied soon, and our floor will thank us, no doubt.

We have enough wipes to go three days as well (40) and you don't need more than 2 snappis so far as I can tell. I keep one in the diaper bag in case we switch to PFs while out, and one in the drawer or on him.

Our laundry is easy-peasy. In fact, it's way easier than regular baby laundry because it's a pain to fold all those bitty clothes. We do a "quick cycle" on cold with baking soda and vinegar, then a hot wash with detergent and an extra rinse. Then we toss them in the drier (hang the covers and AIOs and pocket) and we're done! I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about.

2 comments:

aLLie March 30, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

my mom had all 4 of us kids (+2 infant foster children) in cloth diapers! She said there was nothing more satisfying to her than a fresh load of white cloth diapers! :)

Laura March 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM  

I'm glad using cloth is going so well for you (not that there was any doubt it would). Now we just need some fluffy pics!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP