Tuesday, February 10, 2009

36w4d prenatal update

I had my appointment with Charlotte this morning. Yesterday I got my platelet number back from the doctor's office, and it fell a tiny bit - to 83 from 87. The hospital midwife actually said that they put my chart on the list of patients to confer about at their weekly meeting. So even though she assures me that they are not worried, I have to wonder, you know? I suppose I'll hear what they have to say next Tuesday at that appointment.

Anyway, regardless of how they feel, Charlotte was not pleased that it dropped again. Unless it starts to level off I won't be able to birth at home. She didn't want to give me a hard cutoff, but it sounds like <80 is going to be a problem, especially now that we are starting a regimin. So our order of business today was brainstorming ways to get my levels to even off and start going up. We're going to try oral vitamin K, dandelion leaf tincture, and nettle tincture to go along with the liquid chlorophyll I've been taking. I'm hopeful that the vitamin K will really get things going.

On another negative note, I think I am developing PUPPS. Charlotte thinks that it could be related to my platelets. There does seem to be a connection with the liver for both PUPPS and low platelets, though I'm not exhibiting any symptoms of liver problems at this point. Since I've had the easiest pregnancy ever, this is probably just nature's way of evening the score!

I'm hoping that by treating the platelets we might also cure the PUPPS. So far it's just on the lower part of my belly, and for the most part it doesn't itch too bad. The one person I know who had it still has scars from itching... I already have some scabs. Oops.

On the bright side, my blood pressure remains really good (110/70 today) and all of my other tests are perfect, as always. The baby is kicking and moving like crazy! The heartrate today was 140 again, and it got the hiccups while Charlotte was listening (normal and adorable).

I'm getting a bit swollen (ok, maybe more than a bit), and I'm +39 lbs now! It seems to vary from day to day, which makes me think it's more to do with water weight than my weight gain had been previously. It certainly has *nothing* to do with that apple pie I made on Sunday night!

So, in case I've scared some of you, let me remind you that as of now we are in a good range for the birth, and we're actively trying to make things even better. The reason we chose Charlotte is because she has a sound medical background and will not hesitate to send us to the hospital if that's where we need to be. Obviously the goal is to get us in shape for a healthy homebirth, but if that's not best for me and the baby, we will be going to the hospital, where we can deal with any complications we feel may arise. This is and always has been about a healthy, safe birth - for me and the baby. I firmly believe that if I'm we're healthy enough, the best place for us is at home. If we're not, obviously that plan is out the door.

So - no freaking out! We're perfectly safe and in GREAT hands.

1 comments:

Renee February 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

sounds like you have a great attitude about it! good luck getting and keeping those platelets up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP