Saturday, December 12, 2009

Give (homemade) peas a chance.

Last Thursday, Joseph and I attended a mom's group event at a really cool local store called Eco Emporium. In addition to getting to check out the store, we also had a representative from Yummy Spoonfulls there and got to try their organic frozen baby food. Although I don't think it's worth the price for us - I just can't justify $8/lb when making his food is so easy - it did get me in the mood to make baby food again! So yesterday while Joseph napped I made him:

  • sweet potatoes
  • carrots
  • pumpkin
  • delicatta squash
  • broccoli
  • sweet peas
  • green beans
  • peach puree


It only took a couple hours, and it's enough food to last a LONG time. I would guess at least 3 or 4 weeks. Joseph is still needing his food pureed pretty well, so that's how I prepared it all. If you are interested in making your own baby food, I recommend checking out wholesomebabyfood.com - I find it much easier than flipping through books. That's just me, though.

I baked the sweet potato; cut the pumpkin and delicatta squash in half, cleaned them out, and rubbed with a little olive oil and put face down on a cookie sheet to roast; the carrots, peas, broccoli, and green beans got steamed, and the peaches got simmered in a little bit of water. Then I just processed everything in my food processor, adding some of the cooking water if necessary. The peas and green beans got pushed through a strainer to get rid of the hulls.

Interestingly enough, I had one of those jars of peas left in the cupboard. The woman from Yummy Spoonfulls had commented about the color of their food vs. commercial organic, so I compared mine to the jar.

Earth's Best Organic Peas on the left ~ DomerBaby Special on the right
Holy moly. Those colors are actually true to real life, too. We will not be buying any more jarred foods unless we're traveling or something. And for the record, I think the yummy spoonfuls is only marginally more expensive than the jarred Earth's Best, so I'd probably spring for that if/when we need to buy prepared foods for Joseph.

4 comments:

Larry + Brenda December 13, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

Yay!! We just made another big batch of food last weekend. We can't get Paige's favorite - peaches - this time of year, but her new favorite is blueberries (mixed with a little oatmeal). Send some peaches our way! :)

Kathy December 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

wow. Love the comparison shot.

Jen December 13, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

Brenda - I just bought frozen ones b/c I can't get organic peaches (or probably any really) this time of year! Besides, frozen are picked and frozen at peak, so often times they are much better than "fresh" in terms of taste. I don't think they lose too much in terms of nutrient loss either.

The Good Wife January 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

Hey Jen, I just found your blog. Last weekend I made all my own baby food too and you can totally tell the difference in color.

I made 14 foods and froze them, so it can be done.

Good for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP