Friday, December 4, 2009

Wonder Weeks

My friend Kat turned me onto the book "The Wonder Weeks." The premise is immensely interesting - they studied apes in Africa and found that the little babies were universally prone to go through "difficult" times at regular intervals in their development. The authors went back home and began studying humans. Amazingly, human infants did the same thing! I know it sounds a bit far fetched, but so far it's been spot on. This is a mostly cognitive development thing.

I tend to read the book after the last "Wonder Week" passes for the upcoming one, and then forget about it until Joseph gets really ornery. Then when he gets better I'll be like, "Oh I should check the book" and sure enough, right "on time" the clouds have cleared.

Yesterday I was feeling particularly good about our day - it seems almost like we have inside jokes or something now - so I grabbed the book this afternoon to see when the Wonder Week was (I couldn't remember exactly). We're at 38w5d now and it says at 39 weeks you'll go through an especially nice period! How about that.

"Big deal" you say - it was 2 days off. Except Joseph was born at 40w3d. So "adjusted" he is 39w1d - yesterday he would have been 39w.

::spooky sounds::

Mom's, get this book. If nothing else, it'll make you feel like these awful periods are a sign of something positive in your baby's life, which can make them easier to tolerate.

2 comments:

Sara December 4, 2009 at 4:51 PM  

so, so interesting! Thanks for the rec!

Kathy K December 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

What does it say about 1541 weeks old? I hope it's good because I need a good week!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP