Thursday, December 31, 2009

Labor of Love

OK, I'm not gonna lie. I'm finding baby-food making to be time consuming and somewhat stressful!

I do think it's best for Joseph, and I plan to continue on our path of homemade cooking, but sometimes it feels like another part-time job! Planning, shopping, cleaning, cooking, pureeing, doling out into ice cube trays, freezing, bagging and tagging. Trying to figure out a menu. Then defrosting/reheating. Not to mention finding ways to make it portable (frozen cubes don't fit in baby food jars - doh!

Yes, it's definitely more work. Is it worth it? I think so. But a heck of a lot more work than popping open a jar! Perhaps once he's eating table food things will be less work, and T.J. and I can start eating more healthfully again, too. I've found that after caring and feeding Joseph, we often end up with hamburgers, macaroni, ramen, or pizza. T.J. is in heaven.

This week we made blueberries, mango, kabooka squash, delicata squash, green beans, peas, apples, bananas, and pears. Whew!

3 comments:

Larry + Brenda December 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

Every time I start thinking about how tedious babyfood-making is, I think about your post that showed fresh pureed peas next to jarred peas. SO worth it!! :)

One Artist a Day December 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Not sure if it helps, but one tip I got was always including a food in your normal menu that could be purred. Then you are not planning baby's menu, just yours and he gets the remaining. Also if you need storage, try these http://www.amazon.com/CubesTM-Storage-Contains-Phthalates-Bisphenol/dp/B000V8LCA8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262283729&sr=1-1

Unknown March 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

I found a great site that sells small (BPA free) containers in various sizes, perfect for freezing, reheating and serving homemade baby food... check out www.babypotz.com.
And they come with labels so you know what is in each container and when you made it, although I eventually started using a Sharpie and writing on each container.
BTW, I'm going to try to knit your earflap hat! Can't wait!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP