Monday, January 26, 2009

More aches and pains

After our big walk on Saturday, I had to hang on the couch the rest of the day. Yesterday I seemed to be almost all better, but I got a little sore again as the day went on. Today I'm pretty sore - not as bad as Saturday, but I'm thinking this might be worse than I hoped.

I think I've gone and separated my pubic symphysis. The pubic symphysis is a piece of cartilage that holds your pubic bone together at the front. In the picture below, you don't see it, but it's where the bones join in the center. It's normal for this to spread some because of the pregnancy hormone Relaxin. It helps the baby come out easier. Sometimes it separates too much, though - that's called a diastasis (remember how my abs are split? It's the same thing). Unfortunately this one is painful. Boo.

Here is info on what it is from Wikipedia:

The non-pregnant gap is 4-5mm but in pregnancy there will be an increase of at least 2-3mm due the ligaments which surround and insert into the joint as they remodel under the influence of hormones. Therefore, it is considered that a total width of up to 9mm between the two bones is normal for a pregnant woman.

This natural extra gapping decreases within days following the delivery, although the supporting ligaments will take three to five months to fully return to their normal state. An abnormal gap is considered to be 1cm or more, sometimes with the two bones being slightly out of alignment.

I have my next prenatal appointment on Friday, so I'll mention it then and see if there is anything to be done about it. I think not though. I guess I'll have to be even more lazy than normal.

1 comments:

Teresa January 26, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

ooooh - that sucks! I hope you are feeling better soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP